Saturday 27 April 2013

Pine Siskin

I was surprised to count 24 different species today! Just a few posts ago I mentioned that 19 was my new record and I really didn't think I'd get more anytime soon. Most of the birds were out before lunch, but a few different birds came in the afternoon. I am now up to 111 species (all of North America) after some Pine Siskins made a visit to my feeders. I just mentioned the other day, on one of the birding sites I am a member of, that I have yet to see one. Even though I already posted today, I wanted to again since I got to add another to my life list.

We celebrated both of our boys' birthdays this afternoon (turning 1 and 3 in a few days) and I was outside cooking hot dogs. I heard a different song, saw the pointed beak and the bit of yellow on its wings. Anytime finches are around, I take a closer look just in case there are Pine Siskins around too. At one point this was the case with Pine Siskins, American Goldfinches and Purple Finches all taking turns eating. It was a great day all the way around!

No comments:

Post a Comment