Friday 12 April 2013

Belted Kingfisher

On the way home with my son, we came across a number of birds (16 by the time the day was done!). An American Kestrel almost flew right into our car and just around the corner, we surprisingly saw another American Kestrel in its usual spot on a power line.

Further down the road, a Northern Harrier landed in an open field. My 2 year old asked me what it was, I told him it was a hawk. He responded by asking if it was looking for other birds! (this happened last week with a Sharp-shinned Hawk that I mentioned in my previous post) He has an incredible memory and is extremely observant. It was he who actually pointed out the Turkey Vulture flying above our house that I posted a picture of in my last post.

I spotted a few Mallards swimming in a pond, but then I happened to see my first Belted Kingfisher of the year. Actually, its the first one I've seen in NB. I usually just see them in front of my in-laws cottage over on PEI. I couldn't get a picture of the one I saw today so I posted one from this past summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment