Sunday 10 February 2013

"God loved the birds and invented trees. Man loved the birds and invented cages." ~Jacques Deval, Afin de vivre bel et bien


Today I watched 9 different bird species in my backyard. For my first official post, I'm going to list all the species that spent time eating from my feeders.
1) 6-7 American Goldfinchs
2) 6-7 Black-capped Chickadees
3) A couple of American Crows
4) Too many Rock Pigeons
5) Almost a dozen European Starlings
6) One Downy Woodpecker at the suet feeder
7) One Red-breasted Nuthatch also eating some suet
8) Surprising, only one Common Redpoll
9) Last but not least, the first Dark-eyed Junco I've seen since last Spring (maybe the Groundhog was wrong this year, here's to hoping!)
 
In the past few weeks, only 3 other types of birds have spent time in my backyard: Cedar Waxwings, Blue Jays, and Mourning Doves.
 
I have included a picture of the solitary Common Redpoll that spent a lot of time in this position this afternoon.
 

2 comments:

  1. Papa says, "I am really impressed with the high-quality photos. They are, in my book, of professional quality. Please continue to take along your camera when you go bird-watching." March 29, 2013

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nate! Your "unknown" dated Feb 10th is also a Merlin.

    ReplyDelete